The Family that Plays Together Stays (Healthy) Together
Obesity is a serious health risk in the state of Louisiana. The Louisiana Council on Obesity Prevention and Management reports that 63 percent of our state’s adults are obese or overweight, and approximately one-third of our children are in the same boat. Complications suffered by obese individuals include Type 2 diabetes, elevated cholesterol levels, heart disease, and increased risk of stroke.
Summer break is an ideal time to improve your lifestyle and eating habits. We all have some room for improvement, and taking small steps to clean up your act now could make a big difference in terms of health and well-being.
One great way to start is by getting more active. Fortunately, the northshore area offers so many great opportunities to be active and healthy. Here are some great (low and no-cost) activities the whole family can enjoy!
1) Farmers Markets are a great place to purchase locally grown produce, arts and crafts, and to spend time outdoors. Check out Louisiana’s Northshore website for information about Covington, Mandeville, and Slidell’s own unique weekly farmers markets.
2) The Tammany Trace is a wildlife conservation area with a paved trail, parallel equestrian trail, and other recreational facilities that span 28 miles for walking, riding bikes, horses, rollerblading, and jogging.
3) Local 5K Run/ Walks. Check out the 15th Street Flyers site for up to date information on local walks, runs, and fundraisers.
4) Trails and Parks. Check out this site for to locate a wide array of local hiking and biking trails.
5) Fairs and Festivals are a great way to get outside, enjoy the weather, and celebrate the many great things Louisiana has to offer. Just be sure to enjoy fair and festival treats in moderation! Visit this site to stay up to date on statewide events.
For more information about the obesity situation in Louisiana, click here.